Chuck becomes flying projectile

To: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Chuck becomes flying projectile
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:00:53 -0800 (PST)
No not the former worlds largest Sprte Driver. Someone offered some advice some
time back about how to keep the chuck attached to the spindle of the drill
press and I cannot locate. I've cleaned the spindle with acetone, dressed the
spindle with emery paper to remove any deposits, and cleaned out the inside of
the chuck with acetone.

  The inside of the chuck is not a nice smooth surface. I'm guessing surface
irregularities are preventing a tight close fit. Yes it is cheap Chinese or
Indian Manufactured Drill press but it was also free.

  I'm to the point of recleaning and using locktite on this thing. Any pressure
on the tips of the drill other than straight up and down and even straight up
and down when I reach the other side of what I am drilling means the chuck
detaches itself from the spindle, sometimes with unbelievable amounts of force
and goes flying across the room. It's gotten to the point of being dangerous to
use.

  Any suggestions on how to permanently affix the chuck to the spindle or a
source of a new chuck. Rest of the drill press mechanically is fine. Maybe this
is something from Shop 101 that I never learned. How about some feedback from
those machinists out there.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Cincinnati, OH

 Yahoo! Mail