Re: Chuck becomes flying projectile

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chuck becomes flying projectile
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:30:44 -0600
I bought a cheap press from Harbor Freight, since I rarely use one and even
then just use it for light duty.  The spindle had a slight taper on it, and
the hole in the chuck was also tapered.  No threads or keys, just friction.
I pushed the chuck on by hand but it didn't seem to fit tightly, so I put
something under the chuck and used the leverage of the press to force it on
a little tighter.  So far it has worked OK for me.

If a chuck isn't staying on, I would check to see if there are
irregularities that prevent it from seating all the way.  If these could be
cleaned up then maybe the chuck would fit better.  Otherwise I would be
tempted to use loctite.