RE: 1275 back plate needed...

To: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>,<midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>,"Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 1275 back plate needed...
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 13:23:42 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Jim,
Let's assume, for the sake of conversation, that you are unable to locate a
new back plate:
Just where are these three cracks located?  I'd be real tempted to send the
thing out to a good machine shop, who could gouge & TIG weld the cracks,
then, after grinding the welds flush, check the plate for trueness, and mill
it flat, again, if needed.  I'm guessing that the fractures are probably not
a "big deal", and can be easily repaired.  Of course, if the fractures are
not gouged out, it is likely that any repair weld will, eventually, fail.
So, be sure the machine shop is experienced in these types of repairs.
There is a machine shop in CA, which does a lot of repair of irreplaceable
Porsche.  I can't recall the name, right now, but I can find out, if you
want to call them.  Let me know, OK?  Oh, and we're probably not talking any
big money, here.  It should be pretty basic stuff, for the right machine
shop.