1500 gearbox standing by for a hypoid refresh

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 1500 gearbox standing by for a hypoid refresh
From: Steven Michelsen <stevenm@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:05:12 -0400
My 1500 has run for 5 years and 4K miles.  I have yet to check the transmission
fluid.  Recently I detect that the shifting is very occasionally a bit "stiff"
- something I never never experienced.  So then I figure the first step to fix
this real or imagined issue is to change the trans fluid.  The shop manual says
90 weight hypoid.  My local Autozone has 80/90 and 75/90.  I bought 75/90
'cause it claimed to be somehow better (some educated consumer I am).  I have
the Midget level, up on 4 supports plus the jack (better safe than squished).
I figure I will drain the thing and refill.  MY QUESTION IS:  what is the
tidiest way to get the damn fluid in?  I would prefer to use the actual filler
hole as I can then be sure I have the correct amount in there, but am open to
suggestion.  BTW, seeing as the exhaust runs directly under the drain, I
wrapped the drain with foil to keep it clean.

Thanks much,
Steve