[Spridgets] Hello and Kingpin bushings?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Hello and Kingpin bushings?
From: "Mark A. O'Neil" <mark.a.oneil@Dartmouth.EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 13:01:25 -0400
Hello all,

Sorry if some will see this twice as I sent this to the mgs list
yesterday and today while trying to find why I didn't see it found
this list which may be even more appropriate, so I thought I would
introduce myself rather than just lurk.

I recently purchased a '79 Midget - not really my favorite year, but
a good one to start with as any I suppose.

I drove Corvairs for about 10 years until I traded the last one in
for my '41 741b Indian about 4 years ago. Unfortunately the Indian is
down for what looks like the rest of the summer and well I wanted
something fun to drive!

I told my wife the Midget is safer than a motorcycle - well, at least
with the Midget I am strapped into the projectile!

The car has been in storage for the last six years or so, but handled
nicely on the 70+ mile drive home and has minimal rust with the only
rust through being two quarter sized holes at the bottom rear of the
front wheel wells.

I think first on the list is some front end and brake work. The
brakes are a tad soft and (I think) a kingpin bushing(?) needs
replaced on the front right as the bottom wheel can pull out about
1/8 an inch or so (the left is solid).

It is my understanding that unlike a ball-joint the kingpin bushing
replacement requires some 'fitting' (reaming?) that is best done by
someone with the proper equipment - correct?

Anyway, I am eager to learn and am certain I will have many questions
similar to the above as I am not at all that familiar with British
autos.

Thanks and glad I found this list too!

-m

---