Re: [Spridgets] Which Bushings?

To: "'Frank Clarici'" <spritenut@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Which Bushings?
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:05:49 -0400
Coming in (very) late on this discussion, but, I converted to poly
bushings last year, and (shortly after that) replaced the shocks w/Peter
C rebuilt units.  While driving home from a local British Car Day event,
yesterday, I was struck by how sure and steady the car now drives over
all but the most miserable road surfaces (no, I don't drive the car
sedately).  So, I would have to say that, if you were having "issues"
with overly sensitive handling; it was probably something else causing
the symptom, exacerbated by the poly bushings.  I suspect that the
rubber bushings just cover the problem up.
Nothing wrong with rubber bushings, if you could only get OE quality &
longevity out of them......but, there's something seriously wrong with
just about ALL rubber products available on the aftermarket these days.
I mean, technically, today's rubber bushings ARE moving parts, from
China, right Frank?

On a related subject; I've put several thousand miles on my Porsche 356
during the past few months.  The car is pretty much right where I want
it to be, mechanically (the cosmetics are another issue), and it's an
absolute delight to drive.  Took it to Watkins Glen for the vintage
festival, and it was everything I remembered a 356 could be (I've been
into 356s for slightly longer -43 years- than I have been into
Spridgets).  HOWEVER, I have to say that the straight-line stability of
the Midget is significantly better than the 356 (!).  The Midget just
goes wherever I point it, and doesn't "fuss" in cross-winds like the
356, with it's tail-heavy weight bias.  Yeah, the 356 will cruise all
day at comfortably over 100 mph, but, the Midget has such a great,
stable feel to it at highway speeds and under all conditions.
 I find myself eagerly anticipating the drive to Lake of the Ozarks,
next June :)

Bud Osbourne