Re: [Spridgets] POR 15

To: "'Frank Clarici'" <spritenut@comcast.net>, "'Spridgets'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] POR 15
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:50:43 -0500
Frank,
Looks to me like the surface was contaminated with something, besides
rust, when you applied POR-15.  My experience with POR-15 has been that;
if you follow the application instructions carefully, the stuff works
very well.  One thing for sure is that if you Paint Over Rust which
isn't first very aggressively treated with sandpaper, wire wheel,
sand-blasting, or acid solution (or some combination of the above); it
won't work.  Period.
Nothing that I've ever seen will work for very long on scaly, or loose
rust.  "Rust converters" are a joke, and that is my professional (marine
surveyor) opinion.  Of course, I've never (professionally) recommended
POR-15, either.  Coal tar epoxy is, by far, the most durable stuff I've
yet experienced.  But, ANY coating system is, in the long run, only as
good as the surface preparation that preceded it's application.  In
spite of what marketing types try to tell us; there's no "silver bullet"
for rust.  If you want to get rid of it (I'm not talking about "surface
rust" here); cut it out.  Even sand-blasting may not entirely eliminate
the possibility of a later recurrence of rust.
Keeping the above in mind, I have, in the unheated, occasionally damp
part of my garage/pole barn, a restored VW chassis, which I sandblasted
and coated with POR-15 about 3 or 4 years ago (one of these days I'll
get around to finishing that restoration).  The building has an
un-insulated, metal roof, so it "rains" inside on cool/cold, sunny
mornings all year.  There have been no problems with the coating on that
chassis.
Bud Osbourne