Re: [Spridgets] Weber 40 Carburetor to manifold gasket.

To: <uniquelittlecars@yahoo.com>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Weber 40 Carburetor to manifold gasket.
From: "David Riker" <davriker@nwi.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:51:02 -0700
I see many list members recommending the soft mount kit, but without
supporting information.

At high RPM's the engine harmonics vibrate the DCOE style Weber in such a
way that the fuel in the float bowl floods the carburetor.  This occurs most
often in racing applications.

The soft mount includes a special gasket with rubber o-rings, and special
spring steel washers, and nyloc nuts.

This is all fine and dandy for race applications, where you check the spring
washers after each race, as they like to break, and check the o-rings for
proper sealing (vibration+heat+gasoline is not an o-ring's friend).

YMMV, but in my personal experience, the soft mount kit lasted about one
month, or 1000 miles.

I switched to a standard gasket made out of standard gasket material over 20
years ago and have never ever had a problem on my street motor with the
carburetor flooding, and have not had to deal with the constant headache of
vacuum leaks caused by broken spring washers and failed o-rings.

http://tinyurl.com/2b3bx8t  sells the correct kit if you want to go that
way.

David Riker