Re: [Spridgets] Fwd: Re: disconnecting front motor mounts?

To: Spridget <spridgets@autox.team.net>, BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Fwd: Re: disconnecting front motor mounts?
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 17:54:51 -0800 (PST)
I've done 20 or so Spridget engine pulls, which probably won't put me in the
top 10 on this list, but both together is much, much easier.

--- On Mon,

<bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
> Subject: [Spridgets] Fwd: Re:  disconnecting front motor
mounts?
> To: "Spridget" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> Date: Monday, November
15, 2010, 6:52 PM
> I have pulled and installed a lot of
> engines in my day,
and we never
> pulled engine and transmission at the same time.  I've

watched some of
> the car shows on TV and they always seem to install engines
> and
> transmissions as a unit.  After watching them do this
> and having

problems with it that we never had when installing an
> engine by itself,

I've always wondered why they did it.  My career as a
> mechanic was

working in my father's garage during high school and
> college.  He has
> not
owned his garage for just over 50 years.  I don't
> recall that I've
> ever
seen them pull engine and transmission out the top of
> a RWD car.
>   Many
new cars have a subframe that you pull out the
> bottom and in that
> case
you pull engine/transmission/subframe/front suspension
> as a unit.

Reinstalling an engine with a manual transmission you have
> to get the

clutch disk to go onto the transmission input shaft, but we
> never seemed

to have any big problem doing this.

> Nevertheless...  I've read on the
list where many
> people recommended
> installing them both together.  From
looking at my car
> it seems that
> there is plenty of room around the trans.
to leave it in
> the car, but
> other than the weight it doesn't seem to be
too hard to
> install
> everything as a unit either.  I don't know how long

before I am
> reinstalling everything so that is partly why I didn't want

to pull the
> trans out at this time.  When I get ready for
> reassembly then
I will
> decide how to attempt it.  Working in my garage at
> home is a lot
> different from working in my dad's garage with overhead
> electric hoist.
>
> This is a car that hasn't run in a long time and the engine
> doesn't

turn.  I found water in the cylinders so I don't know
> if I will have to

get a new block or not.  If I have to hunt for a new
> block then it might

be quite awhile before I am reassembling.  The
> previous owner told us

that they were driving the car, and they decided to stop
> driving it and

they parked it behind their house.  When I got it
> everything looked

complete and unmolested.  I first discovered that the
> engine wouldn't

rotate so I pulled the head off and found water in some of
> the

cylinders.  I tried break free and so forth but could
> not get the
> pistons
freed so I decided I would pull the engine and
> knock the pistons
> out one
at a time.  Then I would be able to judge the
> condition of the
> block and
the pistons and go from there.

>  > WAY easier to
>
>      > get them back
in while
> together. On re installation of the engine
>     lining up
>      >
the tranny input shaft with
> the clutch is a cast iron B.I.T.C.H.