Re: [Spridgets] Tires and indicated speed question.

To: "'Dave KK7SS'" <kk7ss@frontier.com>, "'spridgets_autox.team.net'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Tires and indicated speed question.
From: "Paul Herder" <george.brokaw@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 10:00:13 -0600
I went thru the calcs I could find and you will not like the answer for tire
size.

There isn't one that will work.

Assuming:  Current tire (185/75x14) has a diameter of 24.93" and goes 60 MPH
with a 4.55 FDR.

To go the same speed with a 3.9 FDR you would have to have a tire that was
21.5" diameter.

The 155R14 are 23.8" in diameter, not small enough.

Closest I could find on the Coker tire store was "Coker Verdestein Spint,
145-13, Radial" @ 21.75" which would have your speedometer showing 61 mph @
60 mph actual.

Tires are not the way to get the speedometer to indicate the correct MPH in
this case.  I would go with one of the other recommendations (i.e. have the
speedometer recalculated).  Recalculated is better than the change the face
of the speedometer to indicate correctly since that will NOT change the
odometer, that would still read wrong.

There are mechanical speedometer gearing changers out there for the OLD hot
rods (I believe they are still available, haven't done the search).
Nowadays it is done electrically but those will not work with our mechanical
gauges.

Paul