[Spridgets] Off Topic - Kindle

Subject: [Spridgets] Off Topic - Kindle
From: george.brokaw at cox.net (Paul Herder)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 19:01:24 -0500
Well I have several versions of the Kindle software on several different
devices and a previous version of the 3G model of the actual Kindle.

I have the Kindle app on several PCs, my iPad, and my iPod.  What do I use?
My iPod since it fits in my shirt pocket.

It is a little small but I haven't had a problem reading any of the books I
have purchased for it (~ 20-30 so far and counting!)  As someone stated, it
is the content not the media and a good book is still a good book even if it
isn't a book!!  ;^)

The BIG advantage so far is not having to buy more shelves to store the
books I usually purchased.  Wife is happier.

I do some reading in bed and the iPad/iPod is great since no other light is
needed to read.

Since the iPod/iPad are both Wi-Fi, I have to have Wi-Fi to download and
sync.  Syncing is great if you need to read using different devices since
once you sync with the AMAZON service, you will be at the same location in
the book no matter what device you are using.

I used that before I had a mobile device (iPad/iPod) so I could read my
books at lunch on my work computer and then come home and pickup where I
left off at work.

Yes the real Kindle is easier to read outdoors but I don't read outdoors so
that isn't a necessary feature.

The 3G version of the Kindle costs more upfront than the Wi-Fi but the
service is free.  Where I am at, the 3G connection is SLLLOOOOWWWWWW so I
don't use that Kindle much any longer.  The iPod downloads a book in ~ 10-15
seconds which is much faster than the 3G connection I have here locally.
The Kindle I purchase was ONLY 3G.  I believe the 3G has Wi-Fi also.

One BIG problem may be on the horizon for the Kindle on Apple products.
Apple wants 30% of the cost of the book to have it on their devices.  Amazon
probably can't make any $$ selling books to Apple product owners so they
will probably pull the app off the iTunes store and your Apple devices and
us casual users of Apple products will all go to Android devices.

Paul