Re: [Spridgets] Looking for a Motor Porter, VW dealer item ...see image

To: "'Linda Grunthaner'" <grunthaner@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Looking for a Motor Porter, VW dealer item ...see image.
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 13:36:05 -0400
Cc: 'Spridget list' <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Lin,

Suddenly, yes, I'm finishing up a long-dormant restoration project on a '73
std. beetle.  I finally accepted the reality (actually, the reality has been
crammed down my throat!) that I need to replace my Golf III daily driver.  I
decided that I'd be damned if I would ever again have a daily driver that
needed to go any farther than my own garage/workshop for ANYTHING.  For me,
that can only mean an air-cooled VW.

I had already completed the metal work (LOTS of it!) on this particular
beetle about 15+ years ago, so it's more a matter of painting and assembly.
However, I've got a lot of parts to dig out of my stash, sort, clean,
recondition/whatever before I actually assemble the car.  Still, I expect to
have the car up and running sometime in May without too much difficulty.

Among the many projects assuring my immortality (wife says "don't you DARE
die before you finish all of these projects and get them gone!") is my
387,000 mile '72 Super Beetle and a '68 VW panel van.  The '72 SB will
replace the Golf as my back-up daily driver (the '73 will replace the Golf
as my main daily driver).

If you can find one of those engine hoist thingies, it would be helpful, but
not at all essential, for r & r ing your bus motor.   A floor jack, with a
good block of wood on the pad, is really all you need.  After you've done it
a few times, it's just like riding a bicycle.  You never quite forget how.
As with most things, it's best to take your time and be very methodical
about it, so you don't end up with an engine hanging by a throttle cable of
part of the wiring harness. ;)  It really does help to have a second person,
to operate the jack while the other guides the engine/tilts the engine on
the jack as needed, but I've done it myself a whole bunch of times, over the
years and still have all of my fingers, toes, etc..and have never damaged
car or engine in the process.  I'll send you some pics of the project later
on.

Now back to "normal" subject material:  I need to schedule an appointment to
get my cats' annual booster shots 7 check-ups.  And it's time to get the
short to medium range artillery out and start shooting this year's crop of
ground hogs.

Bud