Re: [Spridgets] Axle issue

To: "'Mark'" <mark@nashvilletn.org>, "'Pat Elliott'" <pelliott@innercite.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Axle issue
From: "Jim Seippel" <aseippel@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 00:07:58 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
The problem with that idea is that there is a cross shaft for the spider
gears in the differential that will block the pipe. It is possible to put a
1/8 inch shaft past the cross shaft, but I doubt you will be able to get
enough force to drive out the axle. When I was 16 years old, I discovered
that the stands used for floral arrangement at gravesides used steel
material that was the correct size to drive out an axle spline that had
broken off.  I used that technique to replace an axle on the side of the
road on the way to school one morning. I only missed 1st period.

I have never seem axle splines sheared off, but with replacement axles
coming from anywhere, I suppose it is possible. Particularly if they were
not properly heat treated.

I think the answer is to rotate the axle until the splines at the tip of the
axle are engaged, then use pry bars on each side and try to lever them off.
It might also be possible to drive a two chisels between the axle flange and
the bearing to put steady pressure on the broken part. Once you have the
chisels in place, hit the axle on the end to loosen the pressure. Then drive
more of the chisels into the space. Eventually, it should come loose.

As a last resort, you could remove the axle housing. Cut off the back of the
housing behind the ring gear and then use a drift to drive out the old axle.
Buy another axle housing, trade all of your good parts, and you are back in
business. You would at least save the differential that way.
Jim