Re: ModSports Healey 3000

To: team-thicko@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: ModSports Healey 3000
From: oldirish@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 00:18:45 -0500 (CDT)
On 07/03/98 14:53:56 you wrote:

>Dear Sir,
>
>My name is Cameron Sell, and I currently race a 1959 3000 Mk 1 in New South
>Wales, Australia.  I enjoyed your pictures on the internet, and was
>wondering whether you might be able to answer a few questions for me.
>
>The car currently runs in the New South Wales Marque Sportscar
>Championship, and is very competitive.  The rules / regulations for the
>championship are similar to those of the 'Modsports' phase in England
>during the early seventies.
>
>The motor was built in Melbourne, Australia using a variety of parts from
>Dennis Welch in England.  The car runs four wheel ventilated discs, and has
>a four speed Holinger gearbox with Healey overdrive.  Under the current
>regulations, cars over three litres can run wheel / tyre combinations up to
>12" in width.  I am using 10" rims with 11" Avon slicks.  The guards are
>fibreglass to cover the rims (I still have the originals - though they
>wouldn't fit!), and I have fitted a fibreglass boot and bonnet.
>
>I realise that these modifications are not to everyone's liking - however
>this is the direction that I have chosen to go and I am very satisified
>with the  amount of success that I am having with the car.
>
>What I was wondering was whether you new of anybody in the US who is
>running a Big Healey with similar modifications.  Please email me at
>c.sell@uws.edu.au.
>
>Regards,
>
>Cameron Sell
>New South Wales,
>Australia.
>3rd July, 1998.

Cameron,

I don't know of anyone that is running one in the US, because most
sanctioning bodies have fits over the wide wheels and fender flares and
other modifications carried out on these cars that take them away from "as
original" appearance.  I do know of a modsports car in the States and it
belongs to Bil Bolton in Creswell, Oregon.

Bill's car belonged to Syd Segal and ran in the modsports series (ex-John
Gott) in England.  It is known by its registration number ABL 6.  A picture
of the car is on page 115 of Chris Harvey's book Healey the Handsome Brute
if you have it.  The car was kitted with many ex-works competition pieces.
Bill's step-son raced the car a couple times and it was quite quick, but
needed a complete suspension rebuild among other things.  Geoff Healey has
driven the car and his remarks were less than kind.

You can contact Bill at tricarb@aol.com for more information.

Regards,

Jerry

Jerry Liudahl - Eugene, Oregon USA
Old Irish Racing Club, home of the
Purple Lips and Lip Service Racing Teams
Jaguar, Austin Healey, MG, Alfa Romeo, Datsun
http://pw2.netcom.com/~oldirish/