Mosport report...

To: team-thicko@autox.team.net (Thick Heads)
Subject: Mosport report...
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 00:01:29 -0400
So it's a little late - I think I'm finally about recovered from my marathon
prep
for Mosport, and up for telling a bit of the tale.

Jenna, my Bugeye had been delayed at he body shop all spring, and finally
got in motion in June. After replacing some, er, very wavy panels, and a
bunch of hammer & dolly, we finally approached paint... The new "Florida
Green" (AKA light aqua), as usually seen on big Healeys finished spraying on
the Saturday before Mosport and looked great! I got it home at 9:00 that night
and got to work...

Almost everything had been removed, except for the rear axle & springs.
Worked all weekend. Actually went to work Monday & Tuesday morning...
Tuesday evening the engine went in, but didn't want to start, cranking slower
& slower, despite seemingly good battery voltage at rest. Turned in at 2
aah-em.  Next morning I deduced that the battery must have a bad plate -
swapped it and fired right up! Back to bolting on many bits all day and the
next. Thursday about 9:00 I stuck on numbers & stuck it in the trailer and set
about packing everything else.

Friday, 05:30 and on the road for Mosport! Made it there midday, and found
a spot near the Flounder. Unloaded, zipped through tech, and made it on
track for the remaining 2 sessions of the day. WHEW! Sleep was good that
night, despite fireworks and other rowdy goings on.

The weekend was hot, the driver a bit slow, but everything went well. Spent
my time helping work on the misfire on the Red Bastard and various other
cars. Ran the "Sundowner Enduro" in Jenna along with WST who was
beginning to feel the effects of his recent bellybutton touch-up. Still, we
took
first in class!

Sunday, I got a chance to look at one of Gary's factory competition axles
close up as we figured out how to remove the remains from the axle housing...
Despite running behind most of the other 948's through the weekend, we
took a 2nd in the feature on Sunday. Shows what reliability can get you - you
have to be running to finnish, eh?

After an incredibly tough week of prep (that I never want to repeat!) the car
ran great. My work on it during the event entailed adding water to the
radiator, air to the tyres, and fuel to the tank. Left plenty of time to rest,
wallow
in the heat, work on other cars, and even enjoy a bit of that Thicko lunchtime
spread.

How can it get any better than this?

Roger