Re: Re[2]: Bell Housing

To: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Bell Housing
From: Frank Marrone <marrone@wco.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:58:27 -0700
How about the flywheels?  Do they exchange between the small block V8 and
big 6?  Of course I have a set (bell housing and flywheel from 240-6) up on
a shelf and could check myself except the 289 stuff is at the machine shop.

The bell housing to block pattern is not the only matter with bell housing
interchange.  You must also have the right gearbox pattern for the
transmission you plan to use too.   There are two patterns, on that fits
the toploader and one that does not.  Some bell housings are drilled for
both, some have holes for one type and bosses that can be drilled for the
other, some only fit one or the other.  There is some controversy about
whether or not you can safely drill and tap the bosses in aluminum bell
housings but I know of at least two people who have done so with no
problems so far.

At 08:51 AM 7/28/97 PST, LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com wrote:

>No 260 6-bolt housings, all were 5-bolt.  6-bolt 289 and 302 have the same
>bell housing pattern.  I assume that includes all 5 litre engines as well.
>I believe that 240 and 300 six are the same too, anybody out there know for
>sure?
>

>     ********************************
>
>     -Yes, the 240 & 300 sixes are the same block; of course diff. CID.
>
>     -No, the bell housing is different between the "big six" and the small
>     block V-8's. My Econoline came stock with the 240 & C-4. When I put in
>     the 289(bolted right up with Mustang motor mounts-no other mods
>     required). I needed a new bellhousing to fit the C-4 & 289.
>

>                        Phil

Frank Marrone          MK I Tiger B9471116
marrone@wco.com        1966 LTD
                       '79 Spitfire
                       Yamaha Seca 900 (aka XJ900RK)