Re: [Tigers] Sunbeam Tiger Cost Question

To: AAAGLASSS@aol.com, tncbrown@me.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Sunbeam Tiger Cost Question
From: Chris Thompson <chris@cthompson.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 19:47:33 -0400
Good advice overall.  Personally, I wouldn't pay too much attention to
the big auctions - the prices only seem to be attained through the big
auctions.

But the other advice seems good.  Personally, I would rely on Hemmings
the most, I think.  It seems a whole  lot of e-bay auctions are
no-sales, as apparently nobody in the world is willing to pay what the
owner thinks it's worth, and I've never seen (noticed) a bargain.  With
Hemmings, at least you know what the owner wants for a starting price.

I'm a little bit out of date, as I bought my Tiger about 15 years ago.
I started with Hemmings, but then found myself in San Francisco, and
called Norm, the guru at the time (well, he's still a guru) and he
referred me to a car in the area that I bought within an hour of seeing
it.  When I bought my Jaguar E-Type, I did kinda the same thing, finding
one of the gurus in that field who referred me to an absolute steal on a
99 pt car.  Stay on this list and keep reminding us (occasionally) that
you're looking and want to know if anything is available, plus you'll
also see listers occasionally put their cars up for sale.  Join STOA and
TE/AE and do the same.  A Tiger that is known by the community, and
referred by the community, is likely to be a safer buy than one bought
blind.

Rust is of course something to look out for.  A good buddy of mine
bought a Tiger many years ago, and after he dipped it, he found there
wasn't enough of it left to restore, and had to go buy another one. You
don't say where you are, but you'll find the most rust-free cars are on
the left coast and the south west.

If you're patient and make the right connections, I think you can
probably find something around $20K for a decent driver.  As is typical,
if you buy a car for $20K, and put $10K into it, you'll probably end up
with a $25K car, and if you buy a car for $5,000 and put $50,000 into
it, you'll likely end up with $25K car.  Spend as much as you can afford
up front, unless you've really got a lot of time on your hands to do
almost all of the work yourself, and you really love doing it.  All that
said, in my opinion (and Hemmings, too) is that the Tiger is one of the
most undervalued cars on the market. You probably won't make a killing
on it as an investment, but it's highly unlikely to lose value for you
(unless you spend too much on restoration).

Welcome, and good luck to you finding the right car for you!

Chris
B382000331