Re: SOS, Save Our Spits

To: Silikal@aol.com
Subject: Re: SOS, Save Our Spits
From: Killjoy@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 17:58:51 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>On somewhat the same topic, earlier MG's with chrome bumpers,
>etc., are more highly regarded than later examples.  But in Spits,
>I've
>seen far more later (MKIV-1500) examples at shows, etc.  Is this
>because fewer people are willing to put the money into restoring an
>earlier example and not be able to get their money back out?  Or
>maybe most earlier examples were "disposed of" and are not available
>to restore?

Well, I would have to say that most Americans pay far too much attention to
engine size.

Although the older models usually have both more power and significantly
better power to weight ratios, the later models do have larger engines.  And
that's what seems to matter to most people, even many who are supposed to be
"In the know" about these things.  In factory stock configuration, my 1147cc
produces 20% more power than a 1500 from the mid seventies.

I've seen a lot of chrome bumpered Spits through the years that no one wants
to restore and engine size is the only explanation I can fathom so far...
 Well, other than the fact that the Spit was Triumph's "entry level" car...

Michael Turley
Killjoy@aol.com