Re: 61 TR3A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 61 TR3A
From: gaoliver@joplin.att.com (G A Oliver)
Date: 2 Jun 95 21:34:28 -0400
Email-version: 2
------------- Begin Original Message -------------

This car sounds like an utter basket case, and I would avoid it. I have a very
rough TR2 which has been gathering dust for many years, which was in
considerably better condition than what you are describing (it was a driver).
Projects of this magnitude can be discouraging. If you are truly interested in
owning a classic TR, I recommend that you hold out for a rough driver, and be
prepared to pay $2000-$3000.

Good luck! -mg

Is this a basket case to avoid (my original reaction after seeing the car) or
a project car to restore (the position I was moving toward until I read the

TeriAnn Wakeman seems to be the most positively disposed toward the car in its
current condition (her response may even help bring my wife around).

Is there a consensus out there?  Who's right TeriAnn or mg?

I'm looking for guidance.  My plan (such as it is) would be (1) to acquire the
car at little or no cost, assuming the frame is OK and the body sag is due to
the inner sills being rusted out, (2) find a place to store it for a year
[again, hopefully, at little or no cost, I'm not talking about great storage,
just something that will keep it out of the weather - think old barn] save it
from obilvion now and (3) start work/stabilize it somewhere down the road.

Andy Mace, I'd be interested in your view.

George Oliver