Re: Cam spec help! (TR x-post)

To: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley), triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cam spec help! (TR x-post)
From: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 10:46:10 -0700 "Cam spec help! (TR x-post)" (Jun 6, 10:52am)
I've just been through a similar exercise with an A series cam, and learned a
bunch of things. All of which boil down to that you can't really back-figure
the specs (especially duration/timing/overlap) for an unknown cam: you need to
know the "checking clearance", which basically translates to the valve lash
that you'd set, and take it into account. (Yes, you can measure lift.

The TR6 shop manual (under Leyland) certainly took a big step down in quality
and information from the earlier versions, but I'd be very surprised if there
isn't a timing diagram in the engine assembly section. (Hmm, then again, my GT6
manual doesn't spec the lift, though it does show timing...)