More Spit front-end lube...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: More Spit front-end lube...
From: "Jim Strohm" <Jim_Strohm@ccmail.us.dell.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 95 09:39:05 CST
Encoding: 36 Text
     My $0.02 worth

     Doing a proper front-end lube clean-up really requires a general
     disassembly, especially the trunnion.  That makes for the easiest and
     best job of cleaning.  Naturally, this is a good time to replace all
     the front-end bushings ... and the upper balljoints... and the tie-rod
     ends ... and the steering gaiters, since the tie-rod ends are off....

     I suggest shotgunning the whole suspension because as soon as you
     unscrew the trunnion, you throw the suspension completely out of
     alignment, so you might as well do everything now, and only align
     once.

     As some of us have found, removing, cleaning, and relubing the
     trunnion, and screwing it to the proper tightness, offsets the camber
     several degrees positive.  Replacing the trunnion (which usually isn't
     necessary because the unit is engineered to wear slightly, and be
     adjusted for the wear by screwing it in -- that's why it's bronze with
     a tapered thread) is usually not required except when they are damaged
     or excessively worn.  But removal always wanks the alignment.

     If you're not too fussy about alignment, you can get everything within
     a degree or two using a carpenter's level and a pair of tape measures.
      I won't tell you how, because if it's not obvious you have no
     business adjusting the suspension on a shopping cart, much less on a
     Spitfire.

     Hey, Dave Williamson's suggestion of using a ketchup bottle for
     adding the oil was excellent!  I like a small grease gun because it
     gives greater pressure, but these are messy to store afterwards.  The
     low-pressure, tidy ketchup bottle is a great idea for topping off the
     oil in the suspension joints, once you've replaced everything.

     Standard disclaimers apply

     Jim