Re: TR6 Brakes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Brakes
From: egilk@oslonett.no (Egil Kvaleberg)
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 1995 20:12:43 +0100
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
> When I called the shop to ask about it
> I also asked if they used a vacuum bleeder. Nope - they did it the old
> fashioned way - one person pumping the brake / clutch, etc. <sigh #2>

I suggest you do this yourself! It's quite a pleasant job, and DIY
*pressure* bleaders are available for less than one would pay for
having the job 'professionally' once. The old fashioned method should be
all right also, it just requires a 'slight' skill level, easily mastered.

> To my question: I know that my car has the PDWA warning system which
> will warn when the brakes have a pressure difference between front and
> rear. I also know that the warning light seems to be out, but I never
> thought about it too much.

As a test, the light should be lit together with the oil light. I assume
a PO has removed the lamp just because he couldn't be bothered to
reset it. You ought to fix it.

> According to them manual the brakes need to
> be bled carefully or the PDWA sensor gets off-center.

FYI: Resetting is usually not required if you use a pressure bleeder.

> If the brakes
> were bled without being careful to prevent this, could that result in a
> sudden loss of braking power without any noticeable leaking?

No way. The *only* problem with an off-center PDWA is that the warning light
will be on constantly.

> Or do I
> still need to poke around and find a leak source?

Seems so.

> After this experience I'm even less inclined to take Mrs. Peel to a
> shop again... <sigh #4>

If you let the shop do the mistakes you'll end up paying for them
anyway. If you do the mistakes yourself, you'll pay for them, but also
learn something in the process.

Egil

--
Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Smail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway