TR6 Brakes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Brakes
From: TinyHost@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 1995 12:50:37 -0400
Will I ever learn....

After wrestling with two rear wheel hubs a week ago, I decided to give
myself and Mrs. Peel (my '72 TR6) a break and take her to a shop to
have her alignment checked, brakes and clutch systems flushed, and new
exhaust system put on (I didn't like the looks of the manifold studs).
Since the shop advertised in the local car club newsletter I figured
they'd know what they were doing. <sigh>

When I picked her up and exited the lot I noticed the brakes felt a bit
soft, but they seemed to settle in. When I got home and looked in the
brake and clutch reservoirs I got slightly concerned as the fluid
didn't look particularly fresh. When I called the shop to ask about it
I also asked if they used a vacuum bleeder. Nope - they did it the old
fashioned way - one person pumping the brake / clutch, etc. <sigh #2>

Driving the car today I suddenly had the brakes disappear. <excited
sigh #3> Fortunately I was only 1/4 mile from home, and when I checked
the brake fluid reservoir was empty. I topped it off and pumped the
brakes and, even though I know they *definitely* need to be bled now, I
could detect no leaks whatsoever.

To my question: I know that my car has the PDWA warning system which
will warn when the brakes have a pressure difference between front and
rear. I also know that the warning light seems to be out, but I never
thought about it too much. According to them manual the brakes need to
be bled carefully or the PDWA sensor gets off-center. If the brakes
were bled without being careful to prevent this, could that result in a
sudden loss of braking power without any noticeable leaking? Or do I
still need to poke around and find a leak source?

After this experience I'm even less inclined to take Mrs. Peel to a
shop again... <sigh #4>

        Bruce Krobusek
        Rochester   NY
       tinyhost@aol.com