Re: tr 250 suspension

To: "Keith B. Thompson - Sun" <thompson@ridgeback.East.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: tr 250 suspension
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 12:46:51 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, keith@ridgeback.East.Sun.COM
On Mon, 12 Jun 1995, Keith B. Thompson - Sun wrote:

> 1) what are recomended front shocks for a 250.

        I've had good luck w/Koni's (got them from TRF)

> 2) what else should i look for or replace while i have front
>    all apart? there seems to be several bushing kits around.
>    ball joints? etc.

        That depends on how involved you want to get in the rebuild
        (You don't have to take the "works" apart to replace the front
        shocks).

        If you want to go the whole route the "kit" (I think) just has
        bushings for the upper & lower A arms only. While everything's apart
        you can inspect the ball joints for wear, and the inboard attachment
        points for frame to the upper Arms (don't have the book with me to
        name it proper). Check the bottom end of the veritcle links and
        trunnions if necessary, replace the latter. You can also check the
        inboard sides of the lower A arms for roundness (worn lower Arms
        are "egged" out). I don't believe there are replacements for the
        lower A arms (unless you get real lucky and find some NOS or a lightly
        worn set from an auto jumble) so you may have to have a machine shop
        flare weld and redrill the old ones to their proper shape. Inspect
        the tie rod ends for wear and replace if needed. Oh yes, have a look
        at the bump stops and replace them if they're tired.

        If you rebuild  the entire front end you might find it tightens up
        the works so tha you may not need:

> 3) anti-roll(sway) bars look like a popular item to put in
>    as they were not original on 250s.

        BTW, there WAS an optional sway bar available from Triumph  when
        your 250 was new.

        Sway bars will improve cornering on your `250 by flattening it's
        tendency to lift the inside wheel. I tried sway bars on my 4 but
        gave the front one up when I installed the locker rear.

> 4) Lever-shocks. can they be rebuild, or just replaced?

        Apple Hydraulics (don't have their address handy)provides rebuilt
        lever shocks for  most applications. Though you might want to try
        motorcycle front fork oil for them if you're in the mood (I don't
        know what the price differential is)

> 5) what else should i look for or replace while i have rear
>    all apart?

        I'll let the IRS  expert handle this one.

> 6) lastly, somewhat related, what fluid should go in the
>    differiental?

        Hypoid grear oil

Good luck...

        Greg Petrolati