TR.4/Morgan/SMC lookalikes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR.4/Morgan/SMC lookalikes
From: Andrew Smith <asmith@BayNetworks.COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 95 12:22:48 PDT
[ New subscriber alert!! I hope this is an appropriate query
  for this list ].

I looked at a car for sale recently ....

      1963 TR.4 chassis
      Fibre-glass S.M.C. (Standard Motor Company Ltd. of Coventry)
           Morgan +4 lookalike body.

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on such a beast: are these
rare over here? Are they related to a real Morgan in any way? Is this
SMC the same SMC that owned Triumph? If so, why didn't they call it a
Triumph? Should one be paying the same for one of these as for a real
TR.4 or a real Morgan? What about resale value ... do people turn their
noses up at such a hybrid? Is it just as resellable as a TR.4?

Answers gratefully received on- or off-line.

Andrew Smith