Re: TR.4/Morgan/SMC lookalikes

To: Andrew Smith <asmith@BayNetworks.COM>
Subject: Re: TR.4/Morgan/SMC lookalikes
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 15:56:49 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 12 Jun 1995, Andrew Smith wrote:

> I looked at a car for sale recently ....
>
>       1963 TR.4 chassis
>       Fibre-glass S.M.C. (Standard Motor Company Ltd. of Coventry)
>            Morgan +4 lookalike body.

        Andrew,

        Let me ask you a couple questions...

        Are the headlights behind glass and faired into the fenders?
        Is the grille oval shape? I both answers are yes, I believe what
        you may have is a Hathaway/Hunter. It is a kit car designed on a
        TR chassis. The car was manufacured in California and was very much
        in business up to 1986. I believe that there's an article on the
        Hunter in the magazine Kit Car circa 1983 or 1984. There's an entry
        under "Hathaway" in the book THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE AUTOMOBILE.

        How do I know? Before restoring The Green Man I originally intended
        to build a Hunter (until I couldn't come up with the cash needed
        for the whole kit at one shot.

        If you've got a photo of the beast, I'd love to see it!

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois