Re: tr 250 suspension

To: gpetrola@prairienet.org
Subject: Re: tr 250 suspension
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 95 16:11:41 EDT
>> 1) what are recomended front shocks for a 250.
>
>       I've had good luck w/Koni's (got them from TRF)

        Spax are quite nice, AND you can adjust them without unbolting/etc.
More adjustable than Koni's (12 or 14 levels).

>       If you want to go the whole route the "kit" (I think) just has
>       bushings for the upper & lower A arms only. While everything's apart
>       you can inspect the ball joints for wear, and the inboard attachment
>       points for frame to the upper Arms (don't have the book with me to
>       name it proper). Check the bottom end of the veritcle links and
>       trunnions if necessary, replace the latter.

        And refill with oil before reassembly - makes life easier and less
messy later.

>You can also check the
>       inboard sides of the lower A arms for roundness (worn lower Arms
>       are "egged" out). I don't believe there are replacements for the
>       lower A arms (unless you get real lucky and find some NOS or a lightly
>       worn set from an auto jumble)

        Must be from the UK.  :-)  TRF has brand-new lower A-Arms for TR6's,
NOS - I'd guess they're the same as the TR250.

>       flare weld and redrill the old ones to their proper shape. Inspect
>       the tie rod ends for wear and replace if needed. Oh yes, have a look
>       at the bump stops and replace them if they're tired.

        When I did this I replaced all components that can wear on general
principle.  Rack boots would be another thing that deteriorates to redo.
Caliper rebuild and new flexible lines perhaps.  I even replaced the wheel
bearings.

        My front end was very worn out - the plastic bushings in the outer-
lower were paper thin (compared to about .10" stock), where they still
existed at all.
--
Randell Jesup, Scala R&D.
Randell.Jesup@scala.com