Re: Steering wheel play

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel play
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 10:02:40 -0900 (PDT)
On Wed, 14 Jun 1995, Phil Willson wrote:

> Nick D. Benson wrote:
>
> > Anyone know why my '75 Spitfire steering wheel feels like it's
> >gonnna come off?!
> >
> > There is about 1/4" play in it along the steering shaft, causing it
> > to move in toward the dash and out toward the driver.
> >
> [...rest of Phil's excellent advice deleted....]

> If the answer was 'No' then the clamp between the top and bottom
> column sections is probably loose.  You will find this under the dash,
> immediately at the end of the outer column tube.  Re tightening
> should be all that's necessary.

This seems a most likely cause. Hopefully this is it, and while you're
looking at it, note that this feature (originally developed for the
Herald) allows for a: some 3"-4" adjustment of the wheel position
(in/out) to suit longer or shorter arms; and/or b: some collapsability of the
steering column (safety feature, etc.). NOTE that if the wheel position is
adjusted fully downwards, one loses the collapsing margin.

This type of column is found on most all Heralds, GT6s, Vitesse,
TR4-TR6, and Spitfires through ca. 1976 (Spitfires went to a TR7-style
column around that time).

Andy Mace