Re: Steering wheel play

To: Nick Benson <grayoak@holly.ColoState.EDU>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel play
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 07:56:19 BST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Nick D. Benson wrote:

> Anyone know why my '75 Spitfire steering wheel feels like it's
>gonnna come off?!
>
> There is about 1/4" play in it along the steering shaft, causing it
> to move in toward the dash and out toward the driver.
>
> I have yet to visually inspect it.

Simple answer: 'No'.  You will have to visually inspect it!   It may not
even be safe to drive - it depends on the actual cause.  Try the
following:

Remove the horn button, then:

Q1.  Does the wheel move independently of the column?  If 'Yes',
tighten the steering wheel nut.  If 'No' then:

Lift the bonnet (sorry, hood) and look at where the column comes
through the bulkhead down to the steering rack, then:

Q2.  Does the column move in and out here?  If 'Yes', inspect the
coupling between the column and the rack and the rack itself.  If the
coupling bolts are loose, fit new nyloc nuts and re-tighten.  If the
coupling is disintegrating, fit a new one.  If the play is in the input
shaft to the rack (I don't actually know if this is possible anyway) you
will have to replace the rack.  IF IT IS ANY OF THESE FAULTS DO
NOT DRIVE THE CAR UNTIL IT HAS BEEN FIXED.

If the answer was 'No' then the clamp between the top and bottom
column sections is probably loose.  You will find this under the dash,
immediately at the end of the outer column tube.  Re tightening
should be all that's necessary.

I hope this is of some help,

Phil Willson
TSSC Herald 13/60
(Another nut behind the wheel)

P.S. Is Fort Collins where the WWV HF frequency standard is located
or am I completely out of my tree? Or both?

From:   Phil Willson
        Electronic Engineering
        Queen Mary and Westfield College
        London E1 4NS