RE: Steering wheel play

To: grayoak@holly.ColoState.EDU
Subject: RE: Steering wheel play
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 10:48:02 -0700 (MST)
Cc: TRIUMPHS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Now, there's a fallacy here...

> Anyone know why my '75 Spitfire steering wheel feels like it's gonnna
> come off?!
>
> There is about 1/4" play in it along the steering shaft, causing it
> to move in toward the dash and out toward the driver.

"Stay loose" is a byword of all LBCs.  Tightening them up just
makes them, well, uptight.  Too much tension in your LBC just
gives it high oil pressure, hypertension in the electrical system
and cylinder headaches.  It'll wake up sore and grumpy and you'll
spend your weekends giving it carnuba rubdowns.  Torque
specifications in particular are bad.  If a bolt doesn't wiggle,
it's too tight.  Doors should flap freely, there should be lots
of judder on takeoff, and all those buzzes and rattles just mean
it's happy.