Re: Speedo needle sticks

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speedo needle sticks
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 14:45:01 -0900 (PDT)

On Wed, 14 Jun 1995 TR4guyinVA@aol.com wrote:

> ...I'd like to figure out how accurate my speedos are.  Does anyone
> know how to figure out what a TR-4 speedo should read given an input
> rotational speed of 1000 rpm  (or whatever)?

Scott, the factory manuals give MPH figures per 1000 (engine) RPM. Seems
to me that for the TR4, top gear (non-OD) is something like 982 RPM per
10MPH. Of course, this assumes your tach is dead accurate, and your original
drivetrain propels the original Dunlop Gold Seal or Michelin X tires.

It's much easier and probably far more accurate to find a measured mile
marked out on a local highway, or similarly you can come pretty close
with mile markers on Interstates.

[Is that what you're asking, or am I misreading your question?]

Andy Mace