Speedos revisited

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedos revisited
From: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 1995 10:12:40 -0400
Many thanks to all who replied to my dilemna.  I was just looking for a lazy
way out.

I guess some clarification is needed.  I kind of wanted to beable to bench
test the many speedometers that I have, rather than swapping them in and out
of the car for quick calibration trips.

I can understand and calculate gear ratios and all that stuff very well, I
was just wondering if anyone knew a ratio for the speedometer cable  rpm to
proper speedometer reading  (say at 60mph the cable is spinning at 1250rpm or
something like that)

I suppose I could just go find an accurate one and hook up my coordless drill
to it.  Run it at full blast and see what it reads.  The do the same with all
my project ones to find out how off they are.

I could also hook up the drill and time how long it takes to wind up a couple
of miles on the speedo.  Then do the math and figure what the speed should
have been.  it looks like the odometer is not really subject to the same
problems as the needle.  It could be off by some percentage I suppose. But it
shouldn't stick or drag or have been put on pointing in the wrong place like
the needle is apt to be after being futzed with.

Thanks again for all the responses,   and yes Leon, that speedo I bought from
you is the one that is sticking on me.  Seems to work well otherwise though.
 I may take you up on your trade in policy the next time I see you.  :-)