Engine woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine woes
From: MikeDQ@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 1995 02:22:32 -0400
     I have a 78' Spitfire which has a '75 block in it. It had been leaking
oil from everywhere - oil dipstick, pan gasket, distributor mounting.
I was told by the local Triumph mechanics that it needed a ring job.
A month and a half later I've finished putting the car back together
but it's still leaking oil & smoking as before. Is this part of the break
in ? I don't think so....

     Also, after running for 20-30 minutes the oil light will flicker
and come on when idling @900-1100 rpm. It goes out once the
engine gets above 12-1500. Any ideas?

     I'm also getting white smoke from the valve cover when I remove
the oil cap. The other smoke is just oil running down from the oil pan
to block gasket onto the exhaust.  (At least that's what I think)

     It's starting to get hot it Phoenix so I'm trying to get everything
taken care of before the REAL heat hits so any help & hints are
greatly appreciated.

Peace

Mike