Stromberg air leak

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stromberg air leak
From: pjb@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu (Peter J Barrance)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 09:32:46 -0500 (EDT)
Cc: dad@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu
Hi folks!

Some of you hopefully will recall the problems I was having getting the
mixture set right on my '71 TR6 as a few weeks ago. Last night I broke down
and pulled off the rear carb in preparation for a rebuild. I think I've found
the cause of the problem. The gasket between the carb and the spacer is torn
at the place where there's a U-shaped cutout on the spacer (contiguous to the
large circular hole). This cutout corresponds in position to a pretty large
hole on the carburettor manifold face which is clear through to the bypass
valve chamber. (I think this is just a machining hole) Also, there seems to be
clear passage around the bypass valve (there is a gap in the gasket between the
two ports for the valve). So, it seems to be drawing air
through this route, thereby defeating any attempt to lean the mixture with the
metering needles (both are set full rich).

In light of that, here are my 2 questions?

1. Why is that cutout shape there in the spacer anyway?

2. Won't the same thing end up happening again - i.e. will the gasket end up
tearing at that cutout again and then lean the mixture out again.

Thanks for any and all words of wisdom!

Pete