Help on my TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Help on my TR6
From: hal@gort.space.swri.edu
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 95 08:50:54 -0600
Hi All:

   I have a sad story to tell.  Yesterday was a beautiful day in
Boulder, my first father's day, and the Rocky Mountain Triumph Club's
annual picnic.  Since my wife and I now have a third person to
transport, we decided to take both our Triumphs, a '58 TR3 and '72
TR6.  I was following my wife who was in the 6.  After about 10 to 15
minutes into the drive I noticed that the 6 started to blow some blue
smoke (THIS IS BAD).  It seemed to get worse as the day progressed
(THIS IS VERY BAD).

  Today, I took the car out for a drive and noticed the following
symptoms.  I am not a mechanic, so please bear with me.  Again, for
the first 10-15 minutes that car seemed fine.  There was no smoke that
I could see from the driver's seat and the oil pressure was a little
above 50 when the car was idling and above 75 when at 3000RPM (THIS IS
GOOD).  Then I started to notice the smoke. A little at first, but
more as I continued to drive.  Also, the oil pressure started to drop
so that by the time I stopped it was about 20 when the car idling and
about 50 at 3000RPM (THIS IS VERRRY BAD).  The smoked was more evident
when I was accelerating or engine breaking.  The only other weird
thing that I noticed was that when I accelerated the oil pressure
dropped for a second or two.  I don't know if this is normal.

The only other relevant information about the car is that I had the
head totally rebuilt about 1000 miles ago.  I put a significant amount
of money in it, so please don't tell me this is serious.  I am hoping
that one of you will tell me that the head is not torqued down enough.

Let me thank you all before hand for all your help.

Hal Levison
Geophysical, Astrophysical,                (I)  hal@gort.space.swri.edu
      & Planetary Sciences                 (D)  swri::levison
Southwest Research Institute
1050 Walnut St, Suite 429                  (303) 546-0290
Boulder, CO  80302                    Fax: (303) 546-9687