Looking at a TR3A

To: Triumph owners list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Looking at a TR3A
From: rgs03@health.state.ny.us
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 95 13:27:46 EDT
Comments: Converted from PROFS to RFC822 format by PUMP V2.2X
Jeremy,

I'll give some support to Greg Petrolatti's comments. It sounds a little
pricey considering the non original engine and all the other problems.
Re-upholstering the interior isn't difficult but it is fairly expensive.
Replacing the inner and outer sills is MAJOR work. I know. I just did it.
I haven't seen the car, obviously, but from your description I'd be thinking
more in the $2,000 - 2,500 range, even with the spare engine. It sounds
like a project, and project TR3's shouldn't cost $4,000.

Example. About 7 years ago I bought my '58 TR3A in drivable condition,
running, and quite presentable without major rust problems for $1,800.
(I drove the car until the late fall of '93 and started a minor spruce-up
that turned into a major project as I had to replace inner and outer sills.)
Adjusting for inflation at a rate of 5% per year I'd pay $2,660 for my car
today. At 10% per year (compounded) it would only be $3,860. And my car
was in better shape than the car you describe.  Still, as I said, I haven't
seen the car so you have to use your own best judgement. If you want to
post more detailed information on the car or want to look at it again
with more information in hand on what to look for, let us know. Between
TeriAnn, Andy Mace, myself and a few others, we can supply you with more
info than you ever wanted on TR3's.

Good Luck
Rik

Rik Schlierer                 "Weekends don't count unless you
RGS03@HEALTH.STATE.NY.US         spend them doing something
NYS DEPT OF HEALTH, ALBANY NY  completely pointless" (Calvin)