Help on my TR6

To: paisley@boulder.nist.gov
Subject: Help on my TR6
From: hal@gort.space.swri.edu
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 95 11:30:28 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Scott:

  Yes, I am in Boulder. I just moved here from San Antonio and would
like to meet another local TR person.  Are you a member of the Triumph
club?

>The good news is that the money you spent on the head is probably not
>wasted.  The bad news is that the new head may have created too much
>pressure for those old rings in the block.  What we need to do is pull
>the plugs and see if one or more plugs are getting oil fouled.  It's
>my guess that the new head is putting too much compression on the old
>piston rings and now they are now leaking.  A compression tester will
>give us more info, as well as the condition of the plugs.

  I thought of that possibility, but was hoping that I would not have
to do the bottom part of the engine.  The compression after the head
was put back on was about 125, which I believe is very good.  I don't
know if this information effects your diagnosis.

  Actually, I took the car over to Arapahoe motors this morning to see
if he had any ideas. (This guy seems to know his stuff. For example,
he got the car passed CO emissions tests.  Do you know him?)  His
first question was what type of oil did I use.  I told him 10W30.  He
thinks that this may be the problem, the car need at least 10W40.  So,
we are doing an oil change and will see what happens.  This would
explain why I only see the smoke after the car (and oil) warms up.
What do you think?

  Let's try to get together soon!

Hal Levison
Geophysical, Astrophysical,                (I)  hal@gort.space.swri.edu
      & Planetary Sciences                 (D)  swri::levison
Southwest Research Institute
1050 Walnut St, Suite 429                  (303) 546-0290
Boulder, CO  80302                    Fax: (303) 546-9687