Re: Cam Locking Plate on Spitfire

To: Pat Willems <pbw@chong.dseg.ti.com>
Subject: Re: Cam Locking Plate on Spitfire
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 12:18:58 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 19 Jun 1995, Pat Willems wrote:

> Triumphant Scions,
> In the middle of putting my engine back together ('72 Spit 1296) and I
> have questions concerning the cam locking plate.  I put the front
> mounting plate on the block with gasket/sealer yesterday.  I then lubed
> up the new cam and slid it into the block and bolted the cam locking
> plate to the block.  I tried to check the tolerance on the end float (4
> to 8 mils allowable) and could not get the 0.004" feeler gage between
> the plate and the camshaft shoulder.  The cam was also hard to turn.

> --could I be warping the
> front mounting plate causing difficulty with the cam locking plate?

  That's my suspicion.  I think the right way to fix this problem is to
remove the front cover, seal a new gasket with Hylomar (instead of
Silicone), then torque the cover and cam plate right away.
  If you don't want to go through that again, I suppose you could clean
the threads of the cam-retaining bolts and the block VERY WELL with brakleen
or laquer thinner, then use Loctite 271 (or superceeded equivalent) to hold
them in place.  While in theory the cam should see axial force only from the
oil pump drive gear, I'd still be a little squeamish about not preloading the
cam retaining plate at all.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6