Re: Harmonic Dampener? (and a strange water pump pulley)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Harmonic Dampener? (and a strange water pump pulley)
From: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 00:48:00 -0500
Well, perhaps I need more info before I go off half cocked.  Anyone know for
sure what harmonic dampner they use?  Perhaps the kit is worth it.

I was also told the the narrow belt would work okay (not perfectly) with the
other accesories, although I'm sure a narrow pulley for the generator (or an
alternator for that matter) wouldn't be too difficult.  What about the water
pump?  Does the water pump have that much drag that a small belt wouldn't
suffice even in the big groove?

Speaking of which, I have a very strange water pump pulley which I haven't
been able to identify.
It goes on the early pump (is held on by a nut) but in addition to the
regular huge belt grove, it has another smaller belt groove.  This one is
larger diameter and closer to the radiator (it would sorta have to be
actually) it hovers over the front crossmember actually.

I have no idea what this other smaller groove would be for.  Does anyone
else?
Airconditioning compressor,? (they didn't offer it I know)
supercharger compressor?  (seems like it would be bigger and not run off the
water pump)
What in the world?

And lastly, I have a 12" electric fan installed on my car, and think it works
well.  (pulls lots o' amps, but works)

All of this came about because I wanted to change it from a pusher to a
puller, and needed to remove the fan extension (that and the fact that one
day I want a hopped up engine that will go higher than 6K rpm)

Anyone have an opinion of the pros and cons of pusher vs puller fans?

Type to you all later.

Scott