Re: Carbon on piston heads and other worries

To: SDTilton@aol.com
Subject: Re: Carbon on piston heads and other worries
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 95 23:06:22 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>So I had to take the head off the TR-4 today,
>
>Someone tell me what precautions to take in this area, I don't wanna mess up
>my engine.
>FYI the engine only has about 2500 miles on it since a TOTAL rebuild, the
>carbon is due to a mixture problem that went unchecked for a while is my
>guess.
>
>Scott Tilton
>sweating in Richmond Virginia

Scott,
 Try an easy-out for the stud. Soak well with "liquid Wrench" first.
Should takecare of this situation.
 As for carbon on top of pistons and crud down side of cylinder.
 Rotate engine by hand to get each piston to top. Clean as well as
possible. Wipe with oil soaked rag to get as much debris as possible. Use
compressed air to blowaway as much remaining residue as possible. Raise next
piston, return to previous and gently wipe clean. DO NOT PUT SOLVENTS OR
OIL DIRECTLY INTO CYLINDERS.
 When you reinstall head, remaining small particles should blow out with
exhaust.
 Has the richness problem been resolved?
Tony R.
66,67,68,69GT6