Re: Tractor engine myth

To: gpetrola@prairienet.org, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tractor engine myth
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 20:31:25 -0500
Cc: ANTIQUE-TRACTOR@ledger.co.forsyth.nc.us
In a message dated 95-11-01 13:52:33 EST, gpetrola@prairienet.org (Gregory
Petrolati) writes:

>The early TR engines are based on a farm tractor engine. Wet liners
>       are not uncommon in this application.

With all due respect to Greg, who has proven he knows virtually everything
about Triumphs... this is WRONG!!!!!!!!!       (sort of)

I'd believed it for years, but finally got around to doing a little research
and asking some antique tractor enthusiasts how the engine developed.

According to Bill Piggott in "The Original Triumph TR":

"Much has been made over the years of the TR having a 'tractor' engine:
although this engine was used in various forms for many years in the Fergusen
tractors manufactured by Standard-Triumph, this was not its intended use when
conceived."

"Following the end of the war in 1945, the company, under Sir John Black,
realised that a new engine of approximately 2-litres (sic) would be needed to
power the all-new saloon car then being developed, and Ted Grinham, the
Technical Director, was briefed to oversee its design and development.  This
saloon car became the Standard Vanguard, and arguably its best feature was
this rugged new engine."

This was the engine which was modified, first for the Fergusen tractors, and
then for the TR2.  Note that some Ferguson tractors were built by Standard
Triumph.

Following are the Ferguson tractors which used the Standard engine and/or
were built by Standard-Triumph.

        TEA-20     Standard engine Petrol                          1947-56
        TEC-20     Narrow w/Standard engine                     1948-56
        FE-35       Standard built
                                      1956-1964
        MF-35      Standard built with Standard engine        1958-59

>From what I've heard, the tractor engine used 80mm bore and 92mm stroke.  A
major difference from the car engine was the governor drive in the front
cover.  The tractor engine output 23.87 hp at 2000 RPM.

That's everything I think I know about the TR tractor engine controversy...if
anyone has any more details or conflicting facts (preferably provable), I'd
like to hear them.

Don Marshall
Jacksonville, Fla. and/or Marshall, N.C.
Cars - '57 TR3   '62 TR3B   '63 TR4
Tractors - '81 Ford 1200   '57 Fergusen FE-35 (when I find it)

cc: ANTIQUE-TRACTOR@ledger.co.forsyth.nc.us
     (with thanks to Don Bowen)