Rocker oil feed hose . .(aka scott's daily dilemna)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rocker oil feed hose . .(aka scott's daily dilemna)
From: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 17:46:53 -0500
So I'm working on getting this easy out out of the manifold stud, and decide
to take a break and mess with something else.

I went to "decoke" the pisons and combustion chambers and what I initially
thought was just plain old carbon build up was a greasy slimy black mess.
 Seems like a good bit of oil is gettting into the combustion chambers, as
well as carbon leftover from poorly adjusted carburetors.

I think that the oil feed line that I installed to the rocker assembly is
putting out TOO MUCH oil for the valve guides to keep out.  I want to know if
anyone else is using one of these feed lines to the head of their TR-3 or 4
and has noticed the same thing.

A little more history for those interested:

Totally rebuilt the engine 2500 miles ago,  but pretty much the only thing
done to the head was lap the valves and make sure they were seating in a
satisfactory manner.

Then about 1200 miles ago, I put on a completely rebuild cylinder head.  New
valve guides, new intake valves, hardened valve seats on the exhaust, triple
cut valve job . . . . the works.   All done by a very reputable shop.  It was
at this time that I installed the rocker feed line.

The "old head" came off in picture perfect condition.  Slight black powder in
the chambers, and greyish brown exhaust valves.  Above all, these combustion
chambers were indeed dry, no slimy oil mess.

I seriously doubt anything is wrong with the piston rings. . . certainly
would be weird to happen on all the cylinders at the same time.

This car also does NOT have the closed circuit breathing system, so no
blow-by is coming in the intake.

I hate to think that the valve guides are the problem . . . perhaps they just
weren't meant to keep out the prodigious amounts of oil that the extra feed
pipe supplies.

Comments . . .. .

thanks

Scott Tilton
In Richmond VA
hoping to make forward progess sometime soon.