Carb dashpots

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carb dashpots
From: <Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU> (Allan W. McClure)
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 95 16:25:23 EST
One question I've always had about the SU carbs has to do with the level of
oil in the dashpot chamber.  If I remember correctly, the original Bentley
shop manual says to fill it to within 1/4" (paraphrased).  But I was told or
shown long ago to fill it so that when you insert the damper assembly, it
contacts the oil level (that is, you begin to feel resistance) when there is
about a 1/4" gap from the threads to the top of the carb piston housing.
This has always worked for me in that carburetor performance has been
satisfactory.  Once, I actually tried filling the dashpot chamber to 1/4" of
full but the carb pistons would hardly move at all when trying to rev the
engine.  Would appreciate any helpful advice in this regard.

Allan McClure
'60 TR3A TS75421L