Re: A really lightweight question about badge painting

To: DJP@alpha.sunquest.com
Subject: Re: A really lightweight question about badge painting
From: Killjoy@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 22:21:44 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>My Triumph shield badge has lost every last scrap of paint.
>
>It actually looks very nice, solid bright metal, but I'm thinking
>of repainting it.  The idea is to get the blue and white paint
>into the troughs, while keeping the ridges bright.  And yes, I
>know new ones can be had from the UK for about 7 quid, and in
>the US from Vic Brit for (laugh here) about 50 bucks!
>
>The most straightforward idea that occurs to me would be to just
>paint the whole thing in the appropriate colours without worrying
>about the ridges too much, then when it dries, carefully sand
>with a block and fine paper to take the paint off the ridges.
>Anybody have a better suggestion?
>
>- Dan Parslow
>djp@alpha.sunquest.com

First off, I'd always thought it was not a shield, but an "Open Book" logo,
as in the "Book Of Standards" or something like that...

But with your emblem, you would be better off painting it in the appropriate
colors, and then "sanding it" with a wooden block tightly wrapped with
thinner-soaked cheesecloth about halfway through the dry time.  "Sand"
rapidly and gently so as to leave a smooth finish.  Let it dry, and then you
may want to spray your choice of clearcoat over it to keep the new paint in
there better.

If you mess up, just loosen the cheesecloth, rub out the fresh paint, and try
again.

I'm sure you'll be more pleased with the results than if you use abrasives on
the sort of chrome plated pot metal used in TR emblems.

So...  does anyone know for sure if it is an open book or a shield, or is
that one of those Triumph threads that everyone else knows better than to
pick at here???

Michael "seen too many abrasives in my life" Turley
Toledo, OH
'67 Spitfire Mk2