Re: Return of the unleaded thread

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Return of the unleaded thread
From: egilk@oslonett.no (Egil Kvaleberg)
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 1995 08:48:47 +0100
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
In article <951026173132_90444047@emout06.mail.aol.com>,
CMaster808@aol.com wrote:
> I have the Voltage meter out and am trying to figure out what
> part it is I need to replace in it, and actually thier is onjly one
> replacable part in it
> but it really helps to know what that part is called when trying to find it.
> Must of been somne kind of wire coil as neer as I can figure. What ever it
> was the two wires no longer meet in the center and yes dosn't allow current
> flow any longer.  New meter you say!
> I say yip's! I surely should be able to repair it .  Thanks for any info you
> may supply.

The voltmeter consists of a bimetallic spring connected to the "hand", just
like an ordinary thermometer. In addition, there is a heating coil wound
around it, made of resistance wire. The higher the voltage, the higher the
current through the resistance wire leading to an increase in temperature
due to the increase in power (= heat). Not the most accurate of devices,
but OK enough for its purpose.

In your case its the heating coil that has broken, it seems. It is not
solderable, so its not very easy to repair. Perhaps you can try with a
solderless press connector of some kind. Ensure that the wire does not
short to the bimetal spring or anything. Due to the heat, I'm not sure how
long it will last, though. The best thing is probably to get a new
resistance wire, which is found in electrical heaters of various kinds.
You'll have to experiment with the length to get a correct reading.

Egil

--
Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway