TR^ clutch

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR^ clutch
From: CTDreher@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 11:36:48 -0500
Re:  Low clutch point on the TR6.

I had a similar problem and it was simply a case of the slave cylinder not
being bled
correctly.  The slave cylinder (on the clutch accuator) CANNOT be bled IN
POSITION!  When bolted to the car, the bleed nipple ends up at the bottom of
the cylinder.  Air bubbles in the line or cylinder naturally rise to the top,
so when you "bleed" it, all you are doing is forcing fresh fluid out while
the bubbles stay at the top. The solution is to unbolt the cylinder, (quick
and simple) and hold it upright by hand (so the nipple is at the top) while
someone carefully pumps the pedal.

This worked for me and the difference was amazing.  See the answer by the
Alfa owner who had his system "power bled"... same idea but zero cost.

By the way, I tried a great littel gadget recently.  A "One Man Brake
Bleeder" that is available from a variety of sources.  My local NAPA sells it
for about $6.  All it is, is a clear plastic tube with a one-way valve at one
end and a metal spring around it for support.  You attach it to the bleed
nipple, unscrew the nipple 1/2 turn, and pump the brakes a few times.  No
kidding.  It works great... way better than those expensive $75 hand-pump
units.  Why didn't anyone think of this before?!

Carl "Doc" Dreher
71 TR6, 68 MGB, 73 Lotus Europa, 33 Morgan Trike, 46 Buick Roadmaster.
 (How's that for self inflicted wounds!)