Rare Spit. Cyl. Hea

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rare Spit. Cyl. Hea
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 95 11:53:43 EST

 To:    Triumph List,           Inet

I pulled the cover off of my 64 Spitfire this weekend and started
taking an inventory of the spare parts that came with the car when
I bought it for $800.  I had looked at the parts earlier, but
didn't pay that much attention to them.  Included were various
electrical and body parts, some spare carbs, etc.  And, what
looked like a spare Mk III 8 port cyl. head.

I wrote to the list a couple of months ago and asked if the Mk III
head is a "bolt-on" for a Mk. I motor, and was advised by several
subscribers (thank you to all of you BTW), that "no" it is not
because it has 11 bolts and the Mk. I and Mk II motors have 10
bolts, but if the head is one of the rare 8 port Mk. I heads, than
of course it will bolt on.  Well, I started to take a good hard
long look at the spare head and lo and behold, it has 10 head
bolts!  So, I cleaned off some of the rust, and gunk, and compared
it to some photos of the 10 bolt head and the 11 bolt had in my
manuals, etc., and it sure looks like an 8 port Mk. I head!

The part no. is a Stanpart no., 507871, with a ser. no. (515573)
stamped on it as well.  Query - does anyone have a old factory
parts list that will confirm (or disaffirm) for me that I have a
valuable early hi-po Spitfire Mk. I part on my hands and not just
another boat anchor??  Much obliged for any assistance anyone can
provide.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire Mk I, 68 Datsun 1600 Roadster and a cat named
Flounder.