spitfire window regulator parts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: spitfire window regulator parts
From: Patrick Fitzhorn <patrick@lance.colostate.edu>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 1995 10:00:49 -0700
OK, I screwed up - I know it now. When I was disassembling the
doors of my 1971 Spitfire Mk4 for a rebuild, I chewed up one of
the door glass regulator retainers.  With the other three in
pretty bad shape, and thinking they would be trivial to find,
I dumped the set of four.  Now I discover that was a mistake!
None of the biggies like Vicky British and Moss, etc., have
them.  I've tried to find them used but to no avail either.

I've searched for another fastener that would work, like 3/8"
push nuts, toothed washers, and so on, but the ones I've found
are too "stiff" to be able to push on.  I've tried custom cutting
some, but that was worthless.  Here it is:

<ascii graphics mode on>

      ||        ||    ||             |
    / ||        ||    ||    -v-------    3/4" diameter bolt on
    | ||        ||    ||   |                  the regulator
    | ||        ||    ||    -^-------         assembly
      ||        ||    ||             |

  retainer     pair of
               leather
               washers

<ascii graphics mode off>

The window channel and strap then fit on the bolt between the
leather washers, and the retainer holds it all on.
If anyone can come up with a set of four or a set of fasteners
that will work, I will pay a pretty substantial ransom!  It's
getting cold and I really don't like to drive the beast without
doors!  Any suggestions always appreciated.

Thanks.

patrick fitzhorn
mechanical engineering
colorado state university