Spitfire Bearings (again)

Subject: Spitfire Bearings (again)
From: Jeff Monks <monksj@db.erau.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 11:27:08 -0500 (EST)
Okay, we're all sick of the Spitfire rear axle bearings thread, but I
have one more question.

Yesterday, I managed to get the car up, wheel off, and even managed to
get the hub off with very little difficulty (thanks to Dave Clark's
rather ingenious device), but once that was all apart, I couldn't get the
#&#^@#%*&#@ bearing out of the trunnion!  I tried until it got dark, then
reassembled the bastard by flashlight (miracle it worked this morning!)  So,
I call upon the collected wisdom of the group:  Any tips for getting the
ball race out?  I pushed the trunnion up the axle enough to get about 1/8"
of the race out, but it wouldn't go any further, and I was afraid to
pound on it very hard.  1/8" protruding isn't enough to get a grip on it
with anything...

On the plus side, I put a rebuilt carburettor on it yesterday, and it was
running quite sweetly this morning.  I had forgotten what 5500 rpm from
1500 cc sounded like!

Now I just need to get that damn bearing out!

Jeff