Re: TR-6 diff/rear axle's

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-6 diff/rear axle's
From: thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us (Thomas J Howard)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 09:53:35 -0800
No, it is not important.

 It is not only not important it is impossible.   As you drive the car the
third member will allow for different rotation of each wheel.  This is its
main reason to exist in the world.   As such even if the unit were aligned
on assembly it soon would be off because the world is not strieght ahead.
Every turn makes distence to your distination different for one side of the
car than the other.

It should be OK as is.

>Does anyone know if it is 'important' to have both rear axle/U-joint
>assemblies on a TR-6 be 'in sync' with each other (i.e. if the upper
>yoke/u-joint assembly on the left side of the diff is vertical, does the
>one on the right side need to be vertical as well or...).  The PO took it
>apart and neither the Bentley or Haynes manuals discuss this.  The splines
>on the axle where they go into the diff are not keyed, although the slip
>joint between the upper and lower axles are.
>
>I am curious becuase it is important to have the yoke assemblies parallel
>to each other on the drive shaft (for vibration, etc), however the splined
>slip joint on the drive shaft is not keyed, so you can put it together
>incorrectly.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Steve Sutton

Tom Howard